Saturday, February 9, 2008

Countdown to Oscars- New York Times Magazine- Breakthroughs

I love the Oscars and the end of Writer's Strike means they are going to happen. Yay! The NYT Magazine this weekend features some our favorites actors and actresses and labels them as Breakthroughs for 2007 with a beautifully shot portfolio.
1. Casey Affleck- Great in Gone Baby Gone and The Assassination of Jesse James is next on our netflix queue.
2. Josh Brolin- Never much of a standout for me, he was perfectly cast in No Country For Old Men (tying There Will Be Blood for my favorite movie of the year).
3. Michael Cera- How can you not love this kid? Yes, so far he has played the same awkward character in Superbad, Arrested Development, Clark and Michael and Juno but he "actually tries really hard." Looking forward to seeing him in The Revolt of Youth.
4. Julie Christie- She is Julie Christie so it seems odd to call this year her breakthrough but she was amazing and tender as an Alzheimer patient in Away From Her. The actor who plays her husband is also phenomenal although in his less showy role, is getting less notice.
5. Marion Cotillard- I have yet to see Ma Vie En Rose and for some reason, have very little interest.
6. Paul Dano- If you can hold your own against Daniel Day Lewis, that pretty much says it all.
7. Hal Halbrook- Fantastic in Into the Wild, I still can't help but remember him as Dixie Carter's husband in Designing Women (and in real life).
8. Jennifer Jason Leigh- I know one other person besides myself that loved Margot At The Wedding. The dialogue is so real and played painfully honest by both it lead actresses.
9. James McEnvoy- A sucker for all epic romances esp with a British touch, I was still not a fan of Atonement. Nothing wrong with McEnvoy's performance just nothing special for me.
10. Sienna Miler- Love her fashion sense but I don't get why she made this list.
11. Ellen Page- The cover girl for this set, this truly is her year. She will next be seen in Sam Raimi's return to form, the horror film Drag Me to Hell and then in Drew Barrymore's directorial debut, Whip It.
12. Seth Rogan- Always close to my heart from his role in Freaks and Geeks, it's great to see Seth Rogen get his due as a writer and actor amongst the Judd Apatow empire.
13. Amy Ryan- Solid as the put upon wife of McNulty in The Wire, Ryan is finally getting recognized for her role as an unfit mother in Gone Baby Gone.
14. Jim Sturgess- I have an aversion to seeing Across the Universe so I have no real comment on this pick.
15. Tang Wei- I really wanted to like Lust, Caution but I didn't. Even though it was shot beautifully, it was a waste of 2.5 hours of my weekend.

No comments: